Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Carolyn's Provident Living Column - April 2009

I made a discovery this past month which surprised me,--- but shouldn’t have, because I know I need to do this. I have several first aid kits at my house in various sizes for various needs. With my husband’s recent surgery on his hands, I needed some more tape and some steri-strips to cover his incisions, because the ones the doctor had put in place had become wet and needed to be replaced. When I went searching for the steri-strips, I found several items in the first aid kit that had expired, and I remembered I had not checked them recently to replace those items.

A good first aid kit should be in every household. It can be simple or complex, depending on your needs, skills, and first aid knowledge. I have put together several kits over the years from a very large one for Young Women’s Girls camp, to a small one that fit inside an old metal bandaid box. The size and purpose will determine what needs to be in a first aid kit. Once a kit is assembled, it needs to be checked annually to replace items used and to replace outdated supplies. Rolled tape of most types, adhesive, paper, or plastic, can turn yellow or become extremely sticky and difficult to use under certain conditions, and long storage. If you have instant cold or heat packs, they can become unstable and need replacing. Antibiotic ointments, medications, alcohol or hydrogen peroxide all have expirations dates on them. So it is a good idea to date your kit to know when it was last checked and do a clean out and checkup of the kit on a regular basis.
If you have basic supplies you are better prepared to handle any situation when you or a family member is hurt or injured. Most injuries are not life threatening and do not require immediate medical attention. But if you know how to treat and care for minor injuries, you can make a difference in any emergency. So brush up on first aid skills.
A very basic kit should have things to help with immediate first aid needs:

  • A couple of pairs of latex gloves
  • Sterile dressings to stop bleeding
  • Adhesive bandages in various sizes---I love a Liquid Bandage too
  • Tape
  • Antibiotic ointment to prevent infections
  • Burn ointment ( I love Burn Free pain relieving gel)
  • Thermometer
  • Ace wrap bandages
  • Cleansing agent, soap or antibiotic towelettes to disinfect

Nice to have:

  • Scissors, Tweezers, tube of petroleum jelly or lubricant, some type of ice pack, Moleskin or corn pads, blister treatment
  • Prescription medications you need daily-especially need to rotate these regularly
  • Basic non-prescription medications: Aspirin, or non-aspirin pain reliever, Antihistamine such as Benadryl, Anti-diarrhea medication, antacid, Laxative
  • Medical supplies for special needs, (Diabetics, glucose, blood pressure monitoring equipment)
  • Eye wash solution to flush eyes or as a general decontaminate
  • Feminine hygiene supplies
  • Paper and pencil, Flashlight or pen light, Space blanket, First aid book

I’m going to refresh my First Aid kits, how about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment